Sunday 15 April 2018

Salute 2018 Part 2

So that was the deal of the Century part of my post out of the way! My buddy Will mentioned about a Company called White Dragon Miniatures. So I had a look at their range and spoke to some of the crew including the miniature designer. I have to say their range was some of the best, cleanest sculpts in resin, with the sharpest detail with basically no flash or defects, I have ever seen. So I picked up a sample to show my fellow Hobby Zoners and the Peeps at my local Club (First Founding Gaming)

White Dragon Miniatures FB Page


Will and myself met up with many old wargaming friends throughout the day. Wandering around I was trying to take a few photos with my good camera (a Panasonic GF1) blissfully unaware that it was not setup correctly for the day. So I had no idea most of my shots would be unusable till I was home much later going through my High-Speed SD Card.

But that aside I had an opportunity to meet another good mate Steve Perry who was the guy behind Dark Ops terrain (made famous by Dropzone Commander no less! Steve now is the UK side to the Rubicon Plastic Kit Company and is super busy. But I caught him at a quiet time and we chatted for a bit. Steve won 1st place in the Historical Diorama category at Salute 2018. 

Rubicon Models FB Page

So later in the day I popped over to see some of the guys at TTCombat, Jason was around who some of you may know is one of the two Social Media Chaps from TTCombat who also help Admin both the Facebook Community Groups for Dropzone (DZC) and Dropfleet (DFC) with Jamie and the rest of the Admin Teams.

Emily was also demoing games with Version 2.4 of the DZC Beta Rules. Shes an awesome woman and someone with a real passion for the DZC/DFC Universe.

Managed to find Dave Lewis who designs both games and previously was the owner and Director of Hawk Wargames. He is an awesome guy and someone I consider a friend. 
Glad to see he is really busy designing some amazing new and shiny toys for the Dropzone/Dropfleet Universe. 

Also want to mention Dan from TTC who is a really nice guy and now the General Manager with Troll Trader Group. 

Lastly I would also like to mention the owner of the Company Louis Simpson who I was able to have a chat with when things were a little quiet. Thoroughly lovely guy and no trace of ego at all. 

TTCombat FB Page

Was so good to see the TTCombat/Hawk stand with crowds of people wanting to buy bits and pieces. I honestly feel both games are in good hands and things are looking good for the future.

I also met up with an old friend, one of the guys behind Wartorn Games, Jonathan Corps. Jon was demoing his new game Meeple-Force. So let me take a moment to explain.

Meeple-Force is a tabletop game that does not use rulers or dice. The models are meeples with sticker artwork front and back. They are on special bases that allow you to "flick" them to facilitate their actual move on the board. Some units can cause damage when they make direct contact with an enemy meeple. Also some units have a shooting characteristic.

This was neatly executed by means of flicking a "shoot" token at an enemy unit. If you hit you then do damage according to the characteristics on your character cards.

I need to mention the cards. The artwork is sheer genius! Think of 80s cartoons, Kung Fury, and 80s Movie Posters. And you will get an idea for how they look.



Turn sequence is an alternate activation type which suits the game well. Everything you need to know is actually clearly explained on each character card. There are card tokens to mark wounds. And also resin tokens to mark Medi-Packs, Special Weapons and Items like Homing Missiles and Ninja Throwing Knives. I am sure there will be other interesting tokens available.

The game is utter jokes and so much fun. Keep an eye out on Kickstarter for it later in the year and have a think about backing it, I will be for sure!

Wartorn Games FB Page

I could write alot more but I just want to leave one amazing thing that happened in the morning at Salute.

Will, Scott and myself were walking towards the Traders entrance for Salute as we all had early access. Then Will said you just walked past Paolo Parente! So I ran back and chatted briefly to another of my Hobby Heroes in person. That was AMAZING as I have been a fan of his DUST Universe for a long time.

I could have written pages and pages but instead I opted for a brief write-up of the highlights.

Till our next meeting I wish you well Fellow Hobby Zoners! :]


No comments:

Post a Comment