Sunday 8 April 2018

So Hobby Zoners I thought I would take a moment to discuss hobby tools. What is your preference for tools? Do you have a brand that you choose above others? how long have you been using your tools? Are you unsure what sort of tools that you may need for your hobby?

I hope I can provide some answers. For me the most basic tools are a good knife, a set of clippers and some files. After that some precision pliers, a razor saw and a pin vice with a selection of drill bits. I find a set of precision hobby tweezers very useful for fitting smaller parts.

For me the brands I prefer are various. I own quite a few Tamiya tools as the quality is excellent. Some of mine have been in use for over ten years without any degradation in quality or performance. 

Meng Tools are also very good. My favourite and most reliable hobby knife is a Swann Morton one and the 10A blades can be purchased easily from art shops or online. 

The Swann Morton blades are surgical grade so extremely sharp so please use extreme caution when using them and do not use too much pressure while cutting to avoid snapping the blade.

A pinging blade flying at near light speed at at face level is no laughing matter!

I think alot of tools can be bought cheaply without having to resort to buying poorer quality items. Electricians tools are often fit for purpose and made to a very high standard so perfectly suited for our hobby needs.

On a side note adhesives are very important. Without them it all falls apart... quite literally.
I only use a few types these days, I tend to stick with the ZAP A Gap Superglue, it is a thicker formula so you can use it for gap filling. It sets fast even without activator and is very very strong. I often use this on plastic kit assembly as it facilitates faster building.

I also trust Tamiya Extra Thin Cement for any plastic assembly. It comes with a very fine brush and sets pretty fast for a liquid cement.

Lastly for any big jobs where strength is paramount I will use Araldite 2 part epoxy glue. It takes a long time to set (i usually leave the parts overnight) but once set it is ridiculously strong and can be filed and drilled too. In addition I use electricians 1mm copper wire for pinning. 






One thing I will say is this. Look after your tools. Respect them and care for them and they should last you many years. There is no point in buying expensive tools if you cant manage those two simple things.


No comments:

Post a Comment